view a larger picture click on the image
Once inside the church the first object of interest is the replica of an original royal pardon situated on the west wall. This is known as the STRICKLAND PARDON, being granted in 1660 by Charles II to Walter Strickland, absolving him from the charge of high treason even though Strickland had been associated for eleven years with the party keeping Charles from his kingdom. Notice the portrait of Charles with the Fleur de Lys and the Royal Arms on the reproduction. The translation below was made by Mr. Stanewell of the East .Riding Antiquarian Society in 1934.
Nearby is the FONT, undoubtedly of a very early date and bearing an incised double-
Completing the historical inventory of this section of the church is the FLAMBOROUGH BOOK OF SERVICE . On the illustrated panels of this most unusual work are the names of every person who was engaged in service of any kind during the World War 1939-
The visitor now moves down the north aisle to the St. NICHOLAS CHAPEL. The altar bears a cross and candlesticks designed to echo the church's architecture. During restoration work carried out in the 1860's, part of what is thought to have been a SQUINT was unearthed by the right hand pier behind the altar. The exact purpose of the Squint in church life is a matter of conjecture but one opinion is that it allowed persons, such as the Lord of the Manor, who occupied the side aisles to see the celebrant of the mass. A carving of St. Nicholas now sits in the opening.
Spanning the nave and by its sheer size covering most of the chancel arch is the combined barrier of the ROOD LOFT and SCREEN. In mediaeval times the Rood Loft provided a gallery above the Rood Screen for a very practical purpose; with the development of simple part singing it had become necessary to find accommodation for the increased number of singers required and to make room for any accompanying instruments. From this vantage point, well above the proceedings, the singers could both see and hear the priest at the altar or in his stall and were therefore better sited to take up the tune and lead the responses of the congregation.
Traces of the rich colouring originally adorning the Loft can still be found, though the small statuettes from the niches separating the panels and the figure work from the panels themselves have long disappeared. The exquisite details, vine and rose trails and the complex canopies, still remain however for the visitor's appreciation.
The ROOD SCREEN below the Loft served two functions: it defined the boundary between the Chancel, for which the vicar was responsible, and the Nave which was chargeable to the parishioners, and it also provided a physical guard for the altar. A glance at the central arch of the Screen will show that it was originally fitted with folding doors. The fine fenestration tracery of the arches and the winged angel just above the centre arch bear witness to the skill of the mediaeval carvers.
Opinion differs as to whether the Loft and Screen were made for Flamborough Church. It is certainly possible that, as Canon Purvis' research seem to show, they resided at Bridlington Priory up until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. What he has revealed by comparison with other examples in existence in the north, is that the Ripon family of Carver-
Moving on into the Chancel, we pass the new oak-
The Tomb is surmounted by the upper part of a skeleton, the rib-
The VESTRY also has a local curiosity, a pair of white paper gloves framed and now hung on the wall. They were last used in an old custom at the funeral of a Miss Major in 1761, though a more graphic illustration of their purpose, to local minds, is served by an incident that happened a century ago. Then, a young girl and her betrothed went in search of the 'White Lady', a ghost supposed to inhabit Danes Dyke. The outcome is not recorded but within a month the girl died. Her coffin was carried by women and, as was the custom at the burial of a maiden, the procession was lead by a girl carrying a pair of white paper gloves.
On the south side of the Chancel is the LADY CHAPEL, containing several monuments and tombstones of the Ogle and Strickland families. The PARCLOSE SCREEN has many details which are also present in the other late mediaeval woodwork in the church. The memorial plaque attached to this screen bears the names of Flamborough men who fell in the war of 1914-
St Oswald's has some fine stained glass windows, to take a tour click on the window.