A BRIEF HISTORY The first documentary evidence of a church at Flamborough dates from around 1150, when William Fitz Nigel made a grant of the church to Bridlington Priory. At this early date it is probable that only a nave and chancel existed. There would be some kind of belfry and the walls may have been built of stones taken from the beach as at Ulrome near Homsea.
Around 1200, a south aisle was added, to be followed fifty years later by one on the northern side. Early English arches set on octagonal piers then replaced the original walls. The four chancel piers and their arches are of the same period but the rest of the chancel dates from the restoration work carried out in 1869.
The ordination of a vicarage was made in 1310, although the controlling body remained the Priors and Canons of Bridlington Priory. This influence ceased with the dissolution of the Priory in 1537.
In 1608 Andrew Marvell, father of the poet, held the Living for four years.
When the Archdeacon visited the parish in 1663 he reported witnessing . . . 'the steeple being down and the church being out of repair.' The parishioners found the cost of repairing the steeple too much for their slim resources and it remained where it had fallen for two hundred years.
By 1825 the need for renovation became paramount and a series of alterations and repairs were undertaken. Box pews were installed and a new gallery created on the west side. A new wall on the northern side of the churchyard was built in 1846, while a very extensive programme of rebuilding was initiated between 1846 and 1869. Most of the exterior was rebuilt and the wooden bell turret replaced by a much larger one in stone containing three bells. The piers of the chancel arch were straightened to correct the flattening of the arch, this being rebuilt later with the buttress outside the church as an additional support. A corresponding arch on the north side was built at this time. The gallery at the west end of the nave was removed and the rood loft front erected in its place, the rood screen being left as before spanning the chancel arch.
The south porch with its gates of open iron work was added in memory of Walter Strickland and his wife. In 1895 the loft front was replaced over the chancel screen and a year later the last major task of rebuilding the tower, incorporating four bells was begun to a design of C. Hodgson the architect of the south porch.
The most recent addition to the Church fabric was the installation of two additional bells in the tower in AD1990 making a peal of six bells, which still call the people to worship